Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day: REAL HOLIDAY or SHAM?

What's the big deal? Does it really count or is it another "Hallmark Holiday"?

To me, Mother's Day is a BIG ONE. It's the day to say "Thank you for all you do for us." And by us, I mean the kids AND hubby. You may say, "Why? You're not HIS mother!" True. That would be... well... gross and Shakespearean. But I am, in fact, the mother of his children and children, if left to their own devices, will supply you with endless macaroni picture frames and over-cooked eggs. Don't get me wrong, I love all that too but there's only so much smiling politely I can do at that hour of the morning. And anyone with tots under 5-years-old knows that the hour I'm speaking of can barely be considered "morning".

Back to the question at hand. Is Mother's Day a big deal? I've heard some say "But taking care of the kids is your job." To which I usually respond by getting royally pissed-off and storming out of the room. For that I'm sorry, because, in hindsight, I was wrong. It IS my job and it's a great one! What other job involves that much kissing and snuggling? (please don't answer that) I say it loud and proud, "I AM A MOM and IT IS MY JOB TO TAKE CARE OF MY KIDS!".... but since when is it wrong to want some kind of appreciation for doing your job?! Especially if you excel at it. That's just the way people operate. We work harder so we can get recognized. Motherhood is supposed to be selfless. It mostly is. But does that mean it has to be THANKLESS too. Just one eensy weensy day to say "You're Awesome!"

I don't need anything expensive or too fancy. Just something thoughtful. For Mother's Day, some women want a break from the kids. A few hours away and there's nothing wrong with that. For me, I want them there. All day. After all, they are the reason I get to have this day to be honored. Without them, I'd just be just another smart, funny, beautiful chick who works all day and comes home to her awesome husband in her house that is now too big and suddenly doesn't need to be cleaned nearly as much and there's hardly any laundry to put away. What kind of life is that?!?!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment