Saturday, October 3, 2009

Faux Celebs on Twitter

I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, a celebophile. I don't watch E! I don't check the news on TMZ. I don't follow Brittany Spears on Twitter. I have followed a few celebs on Twitter but I remove them if they are boring or obnoxious or repetitive (read: Kevin Smith, who tweets solely about Hockey and banging his wife). I don't keep following the rich and famous for the simple fact that they are a celebrities and, therefore, worthy of my attention. Blah.

Of course, anyone who knows me knows that when I do catch the obsession-bug, celeb or otherwise, it is with stalker-like severity. It's scary, really and sometimes useful (ask my husband how we met). But that's not what this post is about.

I do follow a few celebs on Twitter. Usually attractive male celebrities, go figure, like James Roday, Hugh Jackman and Michael Johns. Sometimes I'll pick up some celebs because they are just funny or interesting, like Mike Rowe, Adam Savage or Stephen Colbert.

But what I don't get is what some one gets out of impersonating a celebrity Tweeter. Where is the thrill in pretending be a famous person in 140 characters or less? Is it just so fanboys or fangirls will @reply telling them how cute/talented/sexy/funny they are? How can that be validating? Sure, everyone loves a compliment but they aren't actually complimenting the twit-faker, just the persona they've assumed. Or maybe they're hoping someone with Twitpic them something risque. If that's the goal, they should realize that could go horribly wrong (read: fat, hairy, wrong gender).

I also don't understand how some celebs get many more impersonators than others. It seems very random. There are quite a few fake Wentworth Millers on Twitter. He's not a super star. Most people are sadly unfamiliar with the sexy brooding star of Prison Break (now off the air) yet there are dozens of people pretending to be him in micro-blog form.

What is even more astonishing is the number of followers these impostors have and that they continue to send them messages of adoration when it's so obvious that they are faking it. It's sad, really, that some people so badly need to make a connection that they'll ignore the warning signs. It is the same formula that makes people stay in relationships with cheater, abusers, addicts, etc.

I guess we all have our voids to fill.

For me, I prefer to pretend that I actually AM an Internet celebrity, rather than impersonate one. I like to imagine that I have tons of adoring fans anxiously awaiting my next blog or tweet or status update. I like it here in my fabricated "JT World". It's pretty. There are rainbows and bunnies and chocolate ice cream for everyone! I don't want to go back to reality. You can't make me.

No comments:

Post a Comment