Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Few Pounds of Prevention

I know what you are thinking.
You are thinking, "Isn't it 'An ounce of prevention...'?"

Well...

Not in my case.

I've just finished packing mine and my kids bags for vacation, which is 3 weeks away!

I know that I am completely nuts but I've never been one for the last minute running around.  I don't want to find out the day before we leave that two of the tops I wanted to pack are in the laundry or that I'd forgotten that I threw out my kids bathing suits last year because they outgrew them.  Last minute surprises = unnecessary stress and who needs it?  Traveling is stressful enough without realizing you forgot to pack underwear.

(Which reminds me, I've packed all my underwear so the next three weeks should be interesting.  Ha!  Just kidding.  I have enough underwear to go without doing laundry for a month and a half!)

As it stands right now,  all of my kid's stuff is packed except their loveys because they sleep with them every night. All my stuff is packed except my hair products and makeup which I will undoubtedly be using up until the very minute we leave.

What angst did I save myself by this early endeavor?

  • I spent 45 minutes fiddling with a dollar-store-made-in-China-battery-operated-piece-of-crap fan that my son wanted to take on vacation because once the batteries were put in, it was in a perpetual state of being ON.  It required a screwdriver and more patience than could muster before it finally completely fell apart and is now in the trash.  But at least I didn't have to do that in a rental condo without a screw driver when I'm supposed to be chillaxin with a drink.

    I also know that I either need to get him another one or remember to "forget" to pack my daughter's so neither of them have one.

  • I know I need to go buy blades for my razor.

  • I remembered to read the regulations and learn that I can no longer bring aerosol hair spray unless it's under 3 oz (which they don't make).  How does this help me?  I either have to go buy the pump kind or buy it when I land.  Either option is going to make me lose sleep until I have said hairspray in my possession.

  • Researching the hairspray thing lead me to think about hair and realize that I'd better not wear the clip-in extensions I often wear in my hair.  They clip in with tiny little metal fasteners.  Just enough metal to likely set of the metal detector in the airport.  How embarrassing would it be to have to take out my HAIR as I go through security?!?!?

  • I have plenty of time to locate my kid's sunscreen (which is a hard to find brand).  It's likely in a bag of beach toys in the back of a car or in the garage.  But if I can't find it, I have time to hunt down and buy a new bottle.

Call me crazy (oh wait, I already did that) but I don't see the down-side to packing early.  So, I have 8 outfits out of the rotation.  Big deal.  I have plenty more where that came from and, besides,  I don't think I'll be wearing shorts and tanks in the Northeast before I go away.

I am free to focus my looney pre-vacation energies on more important things like obsessing about dropping another 5-8 pounds, planning every last detail of our trip and nagging my husband to start packing his stuff. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment