Saturday, April 10, 2010

(A RECIPE!!!) Leftover Easter Crap Crispy Treats

For those of you who follow this blog, you know this is not a food blog. For those of you who know me personally, you know that I am a foodie and a confectioner and am constantly baking something or other.


Well, today my two worlds collide as I created a recipe that is the perfect follow-up to my last post entitled The Easter Aftermath!


I love a good peep as much as the next gal... especially a stale one but there are only so many peeps one can consume, or allow her children to consume, in good conscience. We got a ridiculous amount of peeps this Easter.


So, what is a peep? A sugar covered marshmallow. And what are the two best uses for marshmallows? S'mores and Krispie treats. For a S'more you are only sacrificing one peep per S'more. I wanted to do away with a lot of peeps so I went the Krispie route.


I know that I'm not the first person to make this particular leap (peeps in Krispie treats) but I know I'm the first person to make them this particular way. I'm pretty single-minded and when I get an idea in my head it's pretty hard for me to put it off. Case and point - I'm posting to my blog immediately after my cooking experiment because I got an idea for a post and couldn't wait.


Therefore, because I needed to implement my Peep-Krispie idea immediately if not sooner, and I don't actually ever have Rice Krispies in the house, I had to improvise. Hmmm... let's see. Uncooked Pasta? No. Ritz Crackers? No. Left-over Crumbfulls? No. Ah-ha! Annie's Cocoa and Vanilla Bunnies Cereal!


Now, if you are like me, you don't have 6 cups of cereal in the house... or at least not 6 cups of any one kind of cereal because half the box has been eaten. Or you might not have as many peeps left as I did. I worked out the ratio and this should help you make treats out of whatever cereal or peep remnants you have in your house. The ratio is 7 peeps and 1/2 tablespoon of margarine to every 1 cup of cereal. Scale accordingly.


In my case, I had two cups of cereal. Into the pot went one tablespoon of margarine. I must say that me and the kids got a perverse thrill out of tossing those cute little chickies into the hot pot and watching them melt. Okay, maybe I did. My daughter told me to quit it with the evil laugh.


(Please excuse the quality of my pictures. I had one glass of wine too many to care about going to get my other camera. Sue me! It's Saturday!)








The combination of Yellow and Pink peeps made a really cool neon orange color. Once the peeps are all melted, stir in the cereal of your choice. A fruity cereal, a cocoa cereal. Really anything would work. Or, maybe not. I'm not sure I'd try it with Wheatabix or Grape Nuts unless you like that sort of thing. Any puffed cereal should do the trick. As I stirred my Annie's Homegrown Organic and Natural cereal into the marshmallow mush and added in Easter M&Ms and Reese's Pieces, I realized that Annie herself would be CRINGING at the bastardization of her natural product. Oh well. It's a "TREAT", not breakfast.


If you have ever made the official Krispie treats, you know the drill. Melt margarine, melt marshmallows, stir in cereal, stir in add-ins and press into a coated pan. Cut when cool.


That's it. Ours came out as tasty as they are good-lookin'--- Not that you can tell from my crappy picture but you'll have to take my word for it!







RECIPE
Left-Over Easter Crap Crispy Treats


1 tbsp of margarine or butter 
to
2 cups of cereal of choice
to
14 marshmallow peeps
M&Ms or Reese's Pieces or Chocolate Chips or Jelly Beans (optional)


Spray or grease a pan appropriate for the quantity of treats you are making (9x9 should work for the above - muffin tins would work too and then you don't have to cut.)  Melt Margarine or Butter.  Add in Peeps (cackle maniacally as they melt.)  When Peeps have fully melted, remove from heat and stir in cereal until fully incorporated.  Working quickly, stir in add-ins.  Scrape into prepared pan and press evenly.   Once cool, cut into squares.




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment