Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What I'm Looking For In A Dentist

I'm not satisfied with any of the dentists I've spent time with.  I simply can't find one that suits my needs.  It's not easy.

The dentist I had before I moved here was a really nice guy and didn't try to make me do things I didn't want to do (like have teeth pulled or get braces when I was 22) but he cleaned my teeth like the dentist in Little Shop of Horrors.  When I was were done, I'd look like I'd gotten punched in the mouth.  I stayed with him a long time though.  He was nice most of the time so I dealt with the abuse.  Age-old story.

Then I moved.  The first dentist I tried out was a minute-man.   A cleaning took literally as long as it takes me to brush my own teeth.  I can do that myself.  What do I need him for?

The next one, the one I'm currently seeing, cares way too much.   He wants to see me every three months.  He wants follow up visits.  I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment.  I don't think I'll ever be ready.  I want someone who I can see every 6 months, a nice quick cleaning and I'm on my way.  I don't want to talk about my feelings.  I don't want to try having my wisdom teeth pulled.  I'm 36 years old, if I had any interest in that I would've done it in my 20s.  I don't want to try anything new.  And, also, accept my faults.  I know my mouth is crowded, my teeth are crooked and I have a slight overbite.  Stop trying to change me.  Just clean my teeth and send me on my way.  Don't call me, I'll call you.

There should be a service for finding a dentist that's right for you. 1-800-Dentist doesn't cut it.  None of the search criteria suit my needs.  I'm looking for more than someone in my zipcode but I don't care if they offer Invisalign or bleaching services.

I need checkboxes with criteria like:
  • straight up, no kinks
  • no commitment
  • easily available
  • accommodating
So, I find myself ever-searching and unsatisfied in the dental hygiene area of my life.  I'm not whole until I find a dentist who completes me.  

(Local readers:  I'm totally serious.  If you know a dentist like this, hit me up!)

1 comment:

  1. Teeth are very important in adults and taking care of them are habits that you form in childhood. It is very important to teach your children the proper habits for dental care.

    St George Dental Clinic

    ReplyDelete