Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Life's Rollercoaster

I was driving in to work today and heard Cake's cover of Gloria Gaynor's 70s hit "I Will Survive".  I love that cover.  Back in college my brother and two of my closest friends were in a band called Hawking 67.  They covered "I Will Survive" at a battle of the bands at my college and won.

Hearing that song today (and, mind you, I listen to that cover all the time) I was suddenly struck by the enormity of how much I miss those friendships.   All three of those men are still very much in my life but in very different ways than they used to be.  My brother is still my brother, of course, but before that, he's husband to my sister-in-law, father to my amazing niece, son to our parents and awesome uncle to my two beautiful kids.

My other two dear friends have wonderful families as well.   I adore each of their wives and their incredible kids but, consequently, our relationships are fundamentally different than they used to be.   We don't see each other as often as we used to.  Hell, in once case we went from living in the same apartment building to living halfway across the country from one another!

In each case, when we do see each other,  it's about the group, not the individuals. It is equally as wonderful, but in a very different way.

On the one hand, I have gained the joy of the friendships with their wives.  I've got a bunch of unique and intensely lovable children in my life, including one beautiful Goddaughter who is celebrating her birthday today some 2,015 miles away. (sad face) On the other hand, I don't have the opportunity to experience those strong bonds that are the foundation our lives are built on.   The bonds are still there, I have no doubt, but I miss the day-to-day of it all.

But that's life's roller coaster, is it not?  People come in and out of your lives.  Some move on quickly but leave a lasting impression.   Some you are glad to be rid of.  Others are always a part of your life, regardless of how your relationships may change. Each day, you know that are lucky to have them even though you may miss them.

Thank heaven for Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment