Sunday, August 28, 2011

Thank You, Irene!

I, by no means, want to minimize the damage and loss that some have incurred from this storm.  I, however, live in an area that was never really on the "path of destruction" outlined by NOAA.  We are on the inland edge of the "cone of potential mayhem" but that didn't stop everyone from running around in a panic.   There are some power outages and some flooding that I know of but the storm is nearly passed and we are, mostly, none the worse for wear.

I would like to take a moment to thank Hurricane Irene.

Irene,
Because of the threat of you, we were all forced to stay home.   Because of this, I cleaned my house.  I washed the floors.  I cleaned a sh*t-ton of old toys out of my kid's room.  My husband and I cleaned out the front hall closet and threw out a bunch of crap.  My husband found "The Dangerous Book For Boys" that I gave him shortly after our son was born.  Our kids handprints are inside from when they were 18 months and 3 1/2 years old.


Because the world was closed and the roads were unsafe, I took a long hot shower.  I gave myself a facial and a salt scrub.  I still plan to work in a pedicure.


I played with my kids.  We all played a "Zack and Wiki" on the Wii and I got past a board I've been putting off for a bit over a year now.  My husband cooked a bunch of food to put in the freezer for me because he's going to be out of town soon and he's awesome like that.  The kids helped him cook.


I blogged.


Irene, thank you for the gift of time.  There's nothing like the potential for a natural disaster to make you stay home with the ones you love - or evacuate with them, depending on where you live.


I know many people aren't going to say thank you, but I am.   Now, that doesn't mean I want you, or any of your cousins to come visiting again any time soon, but I can appreciate the good in all the mess.


Sincerely,
JT


P.S.
I'd also like to thank who-or-whatever gave me the patience not to kill my damn kids today because no matter what they did they were bored and drove me freakin' batty - thus the glass of wine at my right hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment